I’m a salad lover, but sometimes feel challenged to eat cold, raw salad in the dead of Winter (even though it’s raining here today!).
While I crave the goodness of the greens, I also crave warmth and substance. You’ll find all of these things in this kale salad!
- 1 small head of purple kale, broken into bite sized pieces
- 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas (or 1 small can)
- 1/2 red pepper
- 1/2 orange pepper
- 1/2 cup of diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of cucumber
- 1-2 tbsp of chopped nuts (I used pecans)
- 2 tbsp of tahini
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1-2 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-4 tbsp of nutritional yeast (more if you like it tangy, less for a more sublte taste)
- 1-3 tbsp of water
Mix the salad ingredients into a large bowl and set aside. To make the dressing, blend all ingredients using a hand blender or food processor. Add water, 1 tbsp at a time until you get a consistency that looks good to you – not too thick and not too runny.
Mix dressing into salad and mix well. Top with nuts, toss and serve!
In addition to the goodness of the kale, this recipe is packed full of healthy fats and protein. Nutritional yeast is a great source of B12 and adds a nutty flavour to this Winter kale salad.