While a woman is pregnant, her body undergoes changes physically as well as spiritually and physiologically. The physical changes can cause discomfort and stress, and massage is a soothing way to help alleviate many of these discomforts as well as promote a sense of well-being.
If you are having a high risk pregnancy, it is best that you discuss your condition with your physician before seeking a RMT. Pregnancy massage can include a full body therapeutic massage treatment that might also include other modalities such as reflexology, Reiki healing energy or cranial sacral therapy.
A pregnancy massage session is 60 minutes and the mother will be supported with pillows as she lies on her side. She will be draped with a sheet and only the body part that is being worked will be exposed. It is best to avoid eating large meal before the massage or drinking large amounts of liquids.
Benefits to the Mother
- Increases blood and lymph flow which can help increase the elimination of toxins through the circulatory and lymphatic systems. This can also help with fatigue.
- Reduces swelling in hands, feet and ankles
- Lessens sciatic pain
- Strengthens the immune system
- Stimulates the release of endorphins, the body’s natural pain killers, into the brain and nervous system.
- Helps relieve anxiety or depression
- Helps increase blood circulation, which in turn delivers more oxygen and nutrients to the mother and baby.
- Eases muscular discomforts in areas like the low back and neck, calf cramps, it also helps with tension and tightening that can be experienced throughout the body.
- Helps with relaxation which in turn can decrease insomnia
Home Care Suggestions
- Decrease back or sacroiliac pain
- Avoid standing on one leg only
- sleep with pillow between knees when side-lying