Here’s my latest soup creation! This was inspired by a few recipes over the years that have blended sweet potatoes, chickpeas and peanuts. I added my own twist with a hint of coconut milk to sweeten it up. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red or orange pepper
- 1 medium sweet potato, diced
- 1 28-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of peanut butter
- 3 cups of broth (vegetable or chicken)
- 1.5 tsp of chill powder
- 1.5 cups (1 can) of rinsed and drained chickpeas
- 1 cup of baby spinach
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat oil, and sauté onions and garlic for 5 mins. Add pepper, sweet potato and diced tomatoes and simmer over medium heat. Whisk peanut butter, chili powder and broth until smooth and stir into the mixture. Cook for 20-25 minutes on medium heat.
Add chickpeas, spinach and coconut milk. Puree if desired (my kids prefer pureed soups) and stir in coconut milk. Season to taste!