According to a foot specialist, properly fitted orthotics align the foot and ankle into the most anatomically efficient position. They look like insoles, but are biomechanical medical appliances that are custom made to correct your specific foot imbalance.
Anyone can benefit from the comfort and design of custom foot orthotics. When used in conjunction with proper footwear, orthotics can be effective in treating:
- heel and arch pain
- shin splints
- achilles tendonitis
- knee, back or foot pain
- plantar fasciitis
- hammer and claw toes (can also be treated by hammer toe surgery)
- leg length discrepancies
What’s Involved in the Assessment Process?
The 30-45 minute assessment includes:
- a weight bearing and non weight bearing assessment
- video gait analysis, footwear assessment and history taking
- A 3D mold will be created using state of the art technology to maximize the effectiveness of the custom orthotic manufactured
Please ensure to bring the footwear you normally wear to your assessment. This includes: footwear you use for work, sports, and everyday use.
What else do I need to know about my appointment?
- See your family doctor and get a referral. This will satisfy Pedorthics Canada requirements and your personal insurance.
- Orthotic fitting appointments will be arranged within a 2 week period from your assessment at which time you will bring back your footwear and Carol Ann will make sure your orthotics are fitting well.
- Most insurance plans do cover orthotics, but check with your plan for individual requirements.